Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Adoption Day

We went to the Civil Affairs Office this morning to finalize Ava's adoption. We had a short interview, signed some papers then met with the notary for another interview and she gave us Ava's Chinese passport. She was so tired there, she cried during the entire interview. I'm not exactly sure what we agreed to since we couldn't hear the woman, but I'm sure it's all good.

We also met with a woman from the orphanage. She said Ling Xiu was the "most lovely and cutest child at the orphanage". She was very popular with the nannies so they gave her lots of extra food and candy. And it shows! Ava is much chubbier than I thought she'd be. At least her clothes fit. She isn't a picky eater and is quite fond of congee so I asked Sarah how to make it. Basically, make rice with too much water. Easy enough.

Everywhere we go, people tell us how beautiful Ava is. After finding out Ava is going to America, a government worker said she's going to "the land of paradise". This little girl's smile will melt your heart. And she has the best giggle - just like her brother and sister. I got the biggest belly laugh from her just now, playing a silly game with Kleenex. Ava is such a happy child. Just don't give her a bath. At the orphanage, she was bathed every morning so I thought bath time would be fun. Not so much.

Today, we also took a walk along The Bund. It's the heart of modern Shanghai, along the Huangpu River. Lots of shopping, restaurants and boats for river cruising and looks a lot like Michigan Avenue in Chicago. We stopped so Sarah could take a picture of us, and an older Chinese lady decided to do the same. She was very proud and wanted me to see the pictures she took of Kevin, Ava and me. I asked Sarah if the woman thought we're celebrities? No, she said. She is happy for your family.

Ava has such a strong personality. She's been a fighter since she was born and I don't think that's ever going to change. She can be so sweet and silly, yet so mischievous. We can't wait to bring her home so everyone can see what a joy she is. One week from tomorrow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by: Simply Yours Designs